Wembley Ware, Jema Holland or fake?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Adrian

Adrian
  • Guests

Posted 28 February 2015 - 10:38 PM

Hi all,

first post for me and new to collecting Wembley Ware. My particular interest is 'fish, marine theme' and I already have a few pieces: large Dhu Fish, Fantail fish, Lobster Plate, Yabbie Plate, Seal Ashtray. I'm interested in a piece on E-Bay now which purports to be a Wembley Ware 'Angel Fish on a Snail Shell'. Even though the listing includes a photo with 'Wembley Ware' inscribed on the base I'm a bit suspicious as I've never seen this piece before as part of the Wembley Ware range - although as I said I'm new to this!

Reason I'm dubious is that I've also seen a Jema Holland 'Angel fish on a Snail Shell' which looks identical in every respect except for the painting/colour scheme. Is it possible Wembley Ware would've copied the Jema Holland piece so exactly?

In fact, both the Wembley Ware(?) and Jema Holland Angel Fish are currently advertised on E-Bay Aust at the same time; for some reason I can't copy/paste the links but hopefully my phot uploads will work.

Would be very interested in any advice anyone can give as the purportedly Wembley Ware Angel Fish starts at $150 - that's a lot for me and the 'kitsch fish itch' is tempting me. However I'm limiting my collection to Australian-made pieces and wouldn't want to buy this if it's not genuine Wembley Ware.

Thanks,

Adrian

Attached Files

#2 Lee

Lee

Forum Moderator

• Administrators
  • 33 posts
  • LocationBrookton

Posted 01 March 2015 - 09:27 AM

Hi Adrian - thanks for the note - yes the Wembley Ware fish on the snail for sale on ebay at

the moment is the genuine goods!!!

The sellers have dealt in Wembley Ware for years and have great knowledge of the Wembley Ware

items.

There is also another fish the same size from the same series but it is on a reef or amongst seaweed.

There may be some hesitation if the bases are not stamped Wembley Ware with the Jemma Holland

pieces but I would have to have one of each in hand to be able to make a comparison.

Most of the potteries over that time period copied pieces from one another which is why when they are

not marked on the base sometimes makes it hard to distinguish between the makers - usually the

paint colours.

Bid with confidence on this little fishy and good luck.

Any further queries please do not hesitate to contact us.

We also have membership to our Society which is $15 per year for single and $20. per year for family.

Nice to hear you are collecting the fish.

Kind thoughts

Lee

#3 Adrian

Adrian
  • Guests

Posted 01 March 2015 - 10:58 AM

Wow, thanks Lee really appreciate that. Would be pleased to join the Society as a 'single'; wife is a bit bemused by it all - especially the 'fish thing'' Sighs (or snorts, depending on mood) every time she passes my beautiful Dhu Fish!
How would I join up and pay the subscription?
Cheers
Adrian

#4 Lee

Lee

Forum Moderator

• Administrators
  • 33 posts
  • LocationBrookton

Posted 01 March 2015 - 11:39 AM

Hi again Adrian - lots of spouses like your wife except some of them are hubbies!!!!

Joining is pretty easy if by direct credit.....

A/c

Wembley Ware Society

bsb

A/c No.

Use your name in the reference please.

Adrian where abouts are you please?

If in W.A. we have meetings and we will be at the Cannington Greyhounds Stadium

next Sunday (Albany Highway Cannington) and you could  meet us there.

If in another State will be just have to correspond!!!!

Thanks for becoming a member and please do not hesitate to contact us for any information

you may need.

Kind thoughts Lee

(Committee Member (and wife of head honcho Mo)!!!

#5 Adrian

Adrian
  • Guests

Posted 01 March 2015 - 11:54 AM

I'm in Adelaide Lee, so it'll be a long distance membership I'm afraid - who knows, I might find some other enthusiasts closer to home through the forum. I'll do that bank transfer later today, time permitting. The wife adds that although she's not so keen on kitsch fish she prefers that to drinking, gambling and womanising . So I have her blessing.... kind of!
Cheers
Adrian

#6 Adrian

Adrian
  • Guests

Posted 07 March 2015 - 01:50 PM

Hi Lee,

finally got around to paying that membership subscription. Did so just now by bank transfer (added my full name). Is that all I have to do?

Cheers,

Adrian

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users