#1 michael lovell

michael lovell
  • Guests

Posted 19 April 2015 - 05:24 AM

Good Morning all
this is my first post and I am hoping for some information
seller is looking to sell the two plates attached to this post
plates are 25cm and are not signed
plates are similar to male and female arunta plates on page 36 of WW collectors book 2
seller is asking for $595.00 per plate ONO

I would like peoples opinions on whether this price is reasonable etc

many thanks

michael

Attached Files

#2 Lee

Lee

Forum Moderator

• Administrators
  • 33 posts
  • LocationBrookton

Posted 19 April 2015 - 09:32 AM

Hi Michael - well done on your first post and I am hoping this will be the first of many.

In 2007 these plates sold in the $400's - that was at the height of the Wembley ware sales.

Do they have the hand painted stamp on the back?

If it is just the Wembley ware stamp then who is to say that someone hasn't just bought the plates

and done the heads at a china painting class.

This is the discussion that has been going around for the past decade and no one has come up

with the answer yet!!

A lot of ww pieces were given to the souvenier shops and ladies sat in the shop painting scenes

and W.A. flowers and fauna then they were fired and returned back to that shop for sale to the

tourists.  Maybe they are pieces from that time.

This is the question - if a piece of Wembley ware is hand painted - is it more valuable if painted in

the factory - and if painted in the factory why doesn't it have the hand painted stamp so if there is no

hand painted stamp on the rear of the article does that mean it hasn't been painted in the factory?

Something to ponder Michael and love to hear what you think on this.

As for the price we only have the one that sold in 2007 and that was at the height of the sales.

Maybe that for the pair...............

I will ask around and see what the others think.

Hope this helps.

Lee

#3 michael

michael
  • Guests

Posted 19 April 2015 - 10:06 AM

Hi Lee

I only have the one pic of the back and it appears to be just the stamp-nothing re hand painted

Attached Files

#4 michael

michael
  • Guests

Posted 19 April 2015 - 10:15 AM

the seller also states that the last time plates of this type were on Ebay they sold for $600.00

thanks

Michael

#5 michael

michael
  • Guests

Posted 19 April 2015 - 10:50 AM

Hi again Lee

I meant also to say thank you for your reply and the information provided

this is very similar to the thread last week on aust pottery FB page re hand painted pieces

some of the hand painted pieces I have actually have the hand painted stamp

oddly enough they are both on the fan vases only

\but all the hand painted pieces I have  do have the hand written alpha numeric code

I guess if I see that then I comfortable that the entire thing is "ridgy-didge" and not painted outside the factory

I was considering putting an offer on these and a few other pieces the seller has

he says he lived in WA for awhile and says knows a few WW collectors there

if they are not signed then I certainly wouldn't be handing over $600.00 for  a plate

cheers

Michael

#6 Guest

• Guests

Posted 19 April 2015 - 07:57 PM

I do not have any plates like the ones in question, to compare and contrast up close. I have to agree they are similar,to the ones shown in Bisby`s book. Both those are marked Sherratt. I have seen a few other large plates, with inland Australia scenes on them, some marked Sherratt and some not, and to me there was no doubt that Sherratt did both. but of course one would pay a lot more for the ones marked Sherratt. I agree with what Lee says, that some of these may have been done outside the factory. I would be wary on these two. I suppose at a very discounted price, I could buy, but I would prefer to pay extra and get Sherratt on it.

#7 Joe Terni

Joe Terni
  • Guests

Posted 19 April 2015 - 08:06 PM

Strange I put my posting name in,and it was a blank.I posted the previous post regarding Arunta plates

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users