Aboriginal stockman ashtrays c1955

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Darren Jorgensen

Darren Jorgensen
  • Guests

Posted 22 June 2015 - 09:46 PM

Dear good people at the Wembley Ware Society

I am an art historian working at the University of Western Australia, and am hoping that someone might have a lead or any further information on the Aboriginal stockman with a pipe that is printed onto some ashtrays I have dated at 1955. I'd like to have 1) a more reliable date for this series; 2) to identify the source of the image used; and 3) to have good quality images of any items of this kind/in this series.

Hope someone can help! I am doing a history of Aboriginal stockmen in art and would love to include some Wembley Ware in a  forthcoming book, but need a good image and as much context as I can get! I have attached one low quality image here of the kind of item I am writing about.

Sincerely and with thanks

Darren Jorgensen

Senior Lecturer in art history

Faculty of Architecture, Landscape and Visual Arts

University of Western Australia

darren.jorgensen@uwa.edu.au

Attached File  wembley ware stockman transfer printed ashtrays 1955 15 point 5cm diam.jpg   189.37KB   1 downloads

#2 Derek

Derek

• Administrators
  • 38 posts
  • LocationBrookton

Posted 23 June 2015 - 07:31 PM

Attached File  albert 001.JPG   124.98KB   1 downloadsAttached File  albert 003.JPG   119.19KB   1 downloadsAttached File  albert 003.JPG   119.19KB   1 downloadsAttached File  albert 004.JPG   118.81KB   1 downloadsAttached File  albert 005.JPG   119.04KB   1 downloadsAttached File  albert 008.JPG   117.99KB   1 downloadsAttached File  albert 011.JPG   115.54KB   1 downloadsAttached File  albert 012.JPG   115.01KB   1 downloads

#3 Brad

Brad
  • Guests

Posted 24 June 2015 - 10:59 PM

Is there any info on who the stockman is and the age when they were produced can they be dated by back stamp give or take a few years
Brad

#4 Derek

Derek

• Administrators
  • 38 posts
  • LocationBrookton

Posted 30 June 2015 - 09:08 AM

Hi Brad, it is thought to be Albert Namatjira the Aboriginal artist but there is no hard and fast evidence to support this that we know of. I am sure there is a collector out there who would know the answer but I have serious doubts as to whether they will come forward and enlighten us so don't hold your breath.  As for dating it that is another matter entirely,shown on a 1956 wembley catalogue is the Aboriginal stockman (figure not transfer) ashtray, so my guess is and it's only that, would be 1950-56.  If you should find out any more relevant facts about this piece then please let us know.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users